Can you provide a list of tree species to provide wildlife food and shelter? #180320 - Ask Extension

Can you provide a list of tree species to provide wildlife food and shelter? #180320

I have one huge black walnut tree and several smaller black walnuts on my property. I need to assume the whole area is affected by juglone. The crown of the biggest tree arches over three-quarters of the property. I plan to plant native shrubs with high wildlife value, as well as some more trees, mostly understory, but also an oak of some sort, probably a swamp white oak. Shrubs and trees must be juglone tolerant and part shade/shade tolerant. Can you help me come up with a list? I'm looking for species to provide wildlife food in all seasons, as well as shelter.

Prince George's County Maryland

You may find these publications helpful in choosing tree species to provide food and shelter for wildlife:

vw