found 3 neglected grape vines at my new home. #179311 - Ask Extension

found 3 neglected grape vines at my new home. #179311

We just bought a home in Alpine, Utah 84004.  As we were weeding the overgrown yard we found  3 neglected Eastern Concord grape vines against the back wall.  (Vitis Labrusca Eastern concord)
It looked like they were planted 7 years ago and completely forgotten.  I have no knowledge of grapes but I have been researching and know that they should be supported on a cordon trellis and it needs a good pruning which I also have been researching online. ( They were never trellised) 
The problem I'm having and I'm so confused about is the root on the bottom of these plants.  These vines have about 5-7 roots that are about the same size coming out of the bottom and spreading out all over the place. I don't know where to cut because all the roots look the same.
The other issue I'm having is one of the vines does have  a large root coming out of it that has grown strangely instead of up towards the sky, down along the grass.  So, if I was to try and pull it up to trellis it properly I feel like it might snap in half and I don't want that to happen.
There are blossoms just starting to form on many of the overgrown branches.  
I guess i just don't know where to start.  Because of the blossoms I know it is still alive.
Can you help?
Lisa Freeman

Utah County Utah

Hello I would recommend that you contact the fruit specialist at USU, Dr Brent Black. His email is Brent.black@usu.edu. Sorry I can't be of help, but he should be able to provide answers.
Marion Murray Replied May 06, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT