Growing in my pond #176536 - Ask Extension


Growing in my pond #176536

Asked April 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

I need help identifying these plants in one of my two ponds. 

Grimes County Texas

Expert Response

You definitely have water primrose, filamentous algae, and your main problem is what appears to be southern naiad. I cannot state conclusively that it is southern naiad, because it is extremely difficult to identify some submerged species of aquatic vegetation when they are still in the water. In order to identify most species, Aquaculture and Fisheries Extension Specialists need to see a close up photo of the entire plant out of the water. A rake is a good way to retrieve most plant samples because it has a long handle and is capable of grabbing a mass of the plants. Try to separate only one plant or large stem (do not send pictures of a wad of vegetation) from base to tip and lay it out on a light colored background such as a white cooler lid. Photograph the entire plant, and then take close ups of the stem, leaflets, and tip.

For filamentous algae, use a chelated copper complex algaecide. For water primrose use glyphosate, imazamox, imazapyr, or mechanical removal. I need better pictures to positively identify the submerged plant before I can recommend treatment options.
Todd Sink Replied April 23, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
thank you for your response. I hope these new pictures will help.  My place is just outside of Shiro off Hwy 30, I guess the Grimes County extension agent could come help.  If you have a Grad Student that would want to help me or a class that wants to have a feild trip, I would always entertain that. I am new to being a land owner and have many questions. Paul Alexander.
The Question Asker Replied April 24, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
You are correct, the Grimes county agent, Kim Hall, will be able to help with pond vegetation problems, and she will consult directly with me if she has any questions or problems. The first two pictures are southern naiad (bushy pondweed). Use grass carp, diquat, endothall, fluridone, or flumioxazin to control. The third picture is of  water primrose. For water primrose use glyphosate, imazamox, imazapyr, or mechanical removal.
Todd Sink Replied April 28, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT

Loading ...