Types of bamboo for mid mich #175284 - Ask Extension

Types of bamboo for mid mich #175284

I'd like to plant black bamboo (clumping)for a border what variety will do well in mi

Roscommon County Michigan

Thank you for your question! Unfortunately Phyllostachys Nigra is not hardy in Michigan. It is usually advertised as hardy to zone 7. Since most of Michigan is zone 5 or colder it is way too cold to grow black bamboo and have it survive the winters. I was not able to find research based information about growing bamboo in Mi which indicates it is a plant that is not often grown outdoors here. If you google "growing bamboo in Mi" you should be able to find suppliers for hardier types. I am unable to recommend any specific companies or suppliers. Hope this helps.
Marcia Lucas Replied April 15, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT