Can this pine tree be saved? #174963 - Ask Extension

Can this pine tree be saved? #174963

My wife and I moved to Bloomington last spring, and the pine tree in our backyard has seemed to get progressively browner (from the bottom up). I removed a couple of lower limbs which seemed to be dead last June, and now there seems to be even more (see picture). Can limbs that seem dead come back? Do you think there's any saving this tree? If so, what would you suggest to save it?

Hennepin County Minnesota

I wish I could tell you what's wrong with your pine, but without seeing the needles close up, I can't. I am attaching some information from the University of Minnesota about pine needle diseases that may help you diagnose the problem: Tree and Shrub Diseases.

If you can't figure it out and you are committed to trying to save the tree, you might consider hiring a certified arborist to help you. Here is some advice about finding a professional arborist: How to Hire a Professional Arborist to Help Care for Your Landscape Trees.
Susan Trent Replied April 14, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Thanks Susan!
The Question Asker Replied April 14, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
You're welcome...and go hug that tree for me!
Susan Trent Replied April 14, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT