1. Composting? 2.Seeds from Fruit? #172532 - Ask Extension

1. Composting? 2.Seeds from Fruit? #172532

1.  How does one use newspaper for compost?

2. Can I plant the seed from an Avocado and will it grow and produce fruit? 

Anderson County Texas

Yes, seeds from avocados will germinate and grow.  The sapling will generally get about 3 ft high before winter comes next year.  However, maintaining the tree through the winter and getting it to produce fruit is a bit more complicated, for a couple of reasons, but mainly because it is too cold here for them.  There is a great pdf online at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2010/10/avocado.pdf with lots of information for you.

Regarding newspaper for compost, if you are going to add newspaper to your compost, the paper would need to be shredded.  You would only want the paper to be a small portion of what is composting in your bin though, because it has very little nutritional value.

In my opinion, it would be of more benefit to use it as mulch. Used in layers that are 8-10 pages thick, it serves to reduce weeds around your plants and conserve water as it degrades.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or email me directly.

Happy gardening!

<span class="_wysihtml5-temp-placeholder"></span>

Kim Benton Replied April 01, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT