Medicaid and Grandson #171463 - Ask Extension

Medicaid and Grandson #171463

Asked March 25, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

The wife and I are both over 65 years old and both on Medicare. We have custody of a 6 year of child who is on Medicaid. We live in Indiana. The state is reviewing our grandchild status to see if he is eligible for Medicaid. We claim him on our Federal and State taxes. We would like to know more about his status in this situation. The little I have found about it is misleading as once it says if grandparents are not filing for insurance our income would not be included and then it says because we claim him on our taxes our income is included to see if grandchild is eligible for Medicaid. Grandchild income is $21 dollars a month from social security and we get $70 dollars a week for child support from the parents.

Can you help and provide an answer?
Thank you

St. Joseph County Indiana

Since Medicaid and medicaid-related programs are administered at the state level, we are unable to provide authoritative answers to questions like these.  However, it seems likely that your grandson will be eligible for either Medicaid or Hoosier Healthwise,  which is Indiana's child health insurance program (also serving pregnant women, and low income parents/caretakers).
Since your situation is unique, you will get the best answers by contacting the Indiana Division of Family Resources to talk with someone who is well-informed about the nuances of Indiana's programs.  Find your local office of the Indiana Division of Family Resources to get the best information.
Barb Wollan Replied April 11, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT