No life visible in pond #169471 - Ask Extension

No life visible in pond #169471

My mothers has a 2 1/2 acre pond that was stocked several years ago with bass catfish and brim. No one has lived there for several years and she has caught a lot of people fishing without permission. I went out on the pond last weekend and the water is so clear you can see the bottom all over the pond even at 10-15' depths, I went all over the pond and there is not even a minnow in it. There are these Blue colored things scattered out on the bottom all over the pond that average about 1 to 1 1/2" Diameter and 2-3" long. I tried to scoop one up with a fish net but they just fall apart and has a yellowish colored substance that  comes out. Did someone put something in the pond to kill algae that killed all the fish? Any ideas what this might be?

Freestone County Texas

Based on your description, I have no idea what the objects you have found in your pond could be. A good first step would be to send a water sample to the Texas A&M Soils, Water, and Forage Testing Lab (http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/). Normally, a routine water test is sufficient for a pond, but in this case I am going to suggest you get the routine test plus the heavy metals test based on the water descriptions you have given. Make sure to check the box marked aquaculture; this ensure that I will receive a copy of the sample report. We can then examine any abnormalities in your water and go from there.
Todd Sink Replied March 10, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT