How to propagate contorted hazelnut #167571 - Ask Extension

How to propagate contorted hazelnut #167571

I would like to know how to progagate a contorted hazelnut tree for bonsia. I have try several things and nothing seem to work.  So called the extension office and they directed me here. I would appriecate any help you can give.

Thanks
George

Fulton County Michigan

Contorted hazelnut is grafted.  They graft the top part (scion) to a compatible rootstock.  Since this shrub is never grown on its own roots, it is going to be hard to know how well it will root.  After the first shrub was discovered in a vicar's yard in England, all have been grafted to maintain the twisted wood.

Not knowing what propagation methods you have tried, it is possible that your choice is not appropriate for shrubs.

The other thing to consider is that contorted hazelnut cannot spend the year in the house.  It needs a cold rest period and outside is not the place for this.
Gretchen Voyle Replied February 21, 2014, 11:46 AM EST