When to plant grapes #166523 - Ask Extension

When to plant grapes #166523

Hi, the NMSU website has a document about planting grapes in New Mexico that states that you should get your plants in January or February; however, local nurseries are telling me this is NOT the time to plant grapes. I would really like to know so I can get them in the ground soon if they need to be planted in February.  Thanks!

Bernalillo County New Mexico

Although general planting times for grapes are usually in January or February in New Mexico, local nurseries in the northern part of the state may feel that planting times may need to be adjusted to account for the differences in climate compared to the southern part of the state. Generally, Vinifera grapes do not do as well in northern New Mexico.  American or hybrids of American and European cultivars do better in the northern part of the state. A later planting time may avoid early season frosts or unseasonably cold weather that could prevent optimum grape production. If the local weather patterns have been unusually cold this season and the forecast is for more colder-than- usual late season weather, then it may be better to delay planting to avoid poor growth. 
James Self Replied February 15, 2014, 6:07 PM EST