Verticillum wilt in Gaines county #165297 - Ask Extension

Verticillum wilt in Gaines county #165297

Have had several plants like tomatoes,crepe myrtles,and now my chinese pistache trees are showing signs of wilt.Can you tell me some plants resistant  to this and do well in our soils?We have good soil for 18 inches 

Gaines County Texas

When referring to wilt in the southwest area of the South Plains, typically, we are mentioning verticillium wilt.  This problem is often seen across our area in sandy soils that is caused from root knot nematodes.  These are a problem across the area and best method to avoid this issue is to select plants with a grassy or fibrous root structure.  The nematodes affect plants with tap root structures like tomatoes.  Also, change your planting from year to year and rotate different plants in your horticulture site, this will change the host and help guard against problems you may see in a monoculture system.
JW Wagner Replied January 29, 2014, 10:21 AM EST