Hi, i am student from Sou... #164827 - Ask Extension

Hi, i am student from Sou... #164827

Asked January 22, 2014, 3:49 AM EST

Hi, i am student from South Korea. I'm studying about oyster and i also do research. Problem is i need to know how to extratc or draw or collect the oyster's blood. It's white and i always end up extract sth eles. and, i can't find a video about it. If you have it, Can you send me one? or if you don't have it, would you explain me in words?

Brazos County Outside United States

I'm not aware of any videos, but I have spent count less hours drawing hemolymph from oysters for checking ploidy. You want to make sure that you have the oyster positioned correctly. As it would be if it was still sitting on a reef. Then you want to take a cement grinder or a Dremmel with a cutting blade on it (Dremmel works best for small oysters). Cut at an angle from the edge of the bill toward the hinge. You want to cut to where you can reach the abductor muscle. Drill until you have a small hole that will allow a needle to getto the abductor. You will feel a little resistance when you hit it. Try not to go very far into the muscle, when you feel that you hit it start drawing the plunger on the needle. Let me know of you have any more questions and I'll ask around if any of my colleagues have recorded themselves extracting hemolymph.
Vanessa Weldon Replied January 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EST