Am I falling through the cracks in Michigan? #164658 - Ask Extension


Am I falling through the cracks in Michigan? #164658

Asked January 20, 2014, 1:35 PM EST

My Husband and I probably will not fall under Medicaid even with expansion because we have an income of 40,000 for two adults. We are not old enough for medicare since we are 56 and 57 years old and both working. experts told us our income would qualify us for subsidy in any other state, but Michigan did not buy into the Medicaid expansion therefore we cannot receive the subsidy but we will not be penalized for not enrolling for insurance. I thought as a Federally mandated program all citizens were required to carry health insurance. If Michigan expands Medicaid in March, will we then be eligible for a subsidy beginning in March? (and penalized if we don't have insurance coverage) Will March be too late for Michigan residents to apply for the subsidy because open enrollment for will be over? Are Michigan residents eligible for the tax deduction even though Michigan residents cannot take the subsidy? Coverage looks like it will cost a third of our income. Is there something available to Michigan residents that I am not aware of that covers people in our situation?

Ingham County Michigan

Expert Response

First you may want to contact Michigan’s Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS). DIFS’s Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program (HICAP) can help you:
  • Find out about your coverage options
  • Learn about your rights under ACA
  • Resolve a complaint against an insurer
  • Appeal a denial of service or treatment
Visit Michigan’s Resource for health insurance information: HICAP offers free help to anyone looking for Health Insurance information. They can help you with questions, worries, disputes, and complaints. You can call them at 877-999-6442 or email them at  

But know that according to a customer service representative with you have two options.  You can complete a new application if you feel there was an error was made, or you can file an appeal. If you’d like to file an appeal you can do so by printing out the form on I could not find the form so I assume you have to be logged into your account to find the appeal form.

You can also try this:
1. Go to
2.  click on the “Learn” tab at the top of the page
3.  click on the “Find Local Help” tab at the bottom of the page
4.  Then enter your zip code in the box and it will generate a list of where people can go for assistance. It will detail the kind of assistance that the business or organization provides.  

You can also visit MSU Extension’s Affordable Care Act Roadmap to learn about educational opportunities related to choosing health insurance.

For questions regarding Medicaid, you will need to contact your local Michigan Department of Community Health directly at MDCH, Ingham County 33, 5303 S. Cedar St., Lansing, MI 48911 or call 517-887-9400.  

These are the Medicaid providers in Ingham County:
Meridian Health Plan of Michigan, Inc.
777 Woodward Avenue, Suite 600
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 324-3700
(888) 437-0606  

McLaren Health Plan
G 3245 Beecher Road, Suite 200
Flint, MI 48532
(888) 327-0671  

PHP- Family Care
P.O. Box 30377
Lansing, MI 48909-7877
(517) 364-8400
(800) 661-8299  

Molina Healthcare of Michigan
100 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 600
Troy, MI 48084
(248) 925-1700
(888) 898-7969 
Wanda Roberts Replied January 20, 2014, 2:34 PM EST
I found the Appeal Request Form. It's located here:
Wanda Roberts Replied January 20, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
Hi, there... can you help us to know how we did with answering your health insurance question by responding to the two questions below?

1) Did you find that the answer and additional resources mentioned in the answer provided knowledge that you did not have before?

2) Did you find that the answer and resources made you feel more confident about making a good health insurance related choice?
Megan O'Neil Replied January 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Loading ...