Alpaca Poop? #164621 - Ask Extension

Alpaca Poop? #164621

Asked January 20, 2014, 10:17 AM EST

I recently received a response from your office on the use of alpaca poop as a fertilizer  which I agree in part the comment about the only way to use the poop was as a compost this is  incorrect. knowing the poop can take a long time to break down we recommend the poop already broken into small pieces we call placer or dust .If you make a tea out of it this will work almost over night.  The basic question was does this type of fertilizer work and does not harm  our environment? Do take a few minutes to review our web site for the uses we recommend. Thanking you in advance for your attention to this e-mail. Bob Salazar Marketing director Alpaca-Gold L.L.C.www.alpaca-gold.com

Mesa County Colorado

My office did not respond previously and this is actually not my area of expertise. However, I do have experience with this area. Certainly, composting the camelid feces and using the compost as fertilize is an effective use of the feces. However, you are correct in that you can put some of the camelid droppings in water to form a tea that is useful for applying to plants. The concentrations of nutrients in the tea are obviously lower than with applying composted manure. However, the tea is typically applied more frequently. The tea could be used with most any kind of growing plants.
Maurice Eastridge Replied January 30, 2014, 3:04 PM EST
Is camelid poop the same thing as Alpaca poop?
The Question Asker Replied January 31, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Yes, camelid means camel family & alpacas are a member.
Frank Wideman Replied February 01, 2014, 12:25 AM EST