All my bamboo is dying & I don't know what to do? #164480 - Ask Extension

All my bamboo is dying & I don't know what to do? #164480

Bamboo type - (straight from the tag) "Chilean Feather - Chusquea culeo"These are clumping bamboos.  Planted aprox. 10 years agoProblem- It appears to by dying, the stalks are turning brown some with numerous black spots.  The leaves are also turning brown and the entirety of the plants are becoming much more sparse.  We are using four of these plants as a privacy screen therefore, losing and/or replacing them would be difficult as the "privacy" is required in the height portion.These bamboo receive 2x a year feeding w/lawn food.  Since we live in OR, the receive ample water yet, I water during very dry spells.QUESTION: I WOULD LOVE TO HIRE A RELIABLE BAMBOO DOCTOR ASAP BUT, DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOCATE. 
Please help!

Clackamas County Oregon

Thank you for your question to Ask an Expert.

I don't know of any landscapers that specialize in plant problem diagnostics as you describe.  I might be able to help with some questions:
  • When did this problem start to occur?  If after early December, it could be cold damage.  This type of bamboo is reportedly hardy to 0 degrees F and we were pretty close to that depending on where you live.
  • Are the plants in containers? If yes, then cold damage to the roots is more likely since there is less insulation.
  • Are the roots buds still alive?  If you dig down a bit, do you see new shoots starting to form?  If yes, the stems will likely regrow.
Also, if you can attach pictures of the whole plants and close-ups of the base, that might help to diagnose the problem.

Thanks!

Weston

Weston Miller Replied January 22, 2014, 4:05 PM EST