Change insurance mid year? #162193 - Ask Extension


Change insurance mid year? #162193

Asked December 12, 2013, 11:44 AM EST

My son who is 25 missed enrolling in the health insurance plan at the small business where he works in Grand Rapids. He currently has a BCBS plan that will be cancelled at the end of the month. Can he sign up for a young people's plan on the exchange for 3 months and then enroll in the company plan when enrollment opens in March?

Kent County Michigan

Expert Response

You can contact a Navigators/Assistor in your area to answer your specific question.

Cherry Street Health Services

Michelle Fitzgerald:  Regional Lead & Certified Navigator
(866) 299-1339
100 Cherry Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49503

Catherine’s Health Center

Lyndi Weener-Kuiper:  Certified Navigator
(616) 336-8800
1211 Lafayette Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI  49505

Grand Rapids African American Health Institute

Stephanie Pierce:  Certified Navigator
(616) 331-5831
515 Michigan NE, Ste. 102
Grand Rapids, MI  49503

Two other resources are Healthcare Information at  and the Department of Insurance and Financial Services at or their Helpline at 1-877-999-6442.

Lastly you can contact at 1-800-318-2596. Or you can click on the link at the bottom of their web site – Call 1-800-318-2596 for information – and you can use a chat function available.
Wanda Roberts Replied December 12, 2013, 6:06 PM EST

Loading ...