Rose winterization #161683 - Ask Extension

Rose winterization #161683

I bekieve that roses should be trimmed to about waist high after growing season. I usually wait until most leaves & all blooms are gone. This year, there are still blooms or buds prsent. when is the best time to cut back in the Willamette Velley? with sub freezing temperatures present, is this not a good time? Thank You

Clackamas County Oregon

It won't hurt your roses to prune them in November, even if leaves remain. You can wait until the leaves are gone, (which will be soon now that temperatures in the teens are predicted). The idea is to prune roses to about 2.5 feet for winter so strong winds are less likely to knock the roots lose. The final pruning is still advised around mid-February.
Jacki Dougan Replied December 03, 2013, 11:40 PM EST