Grape Vine Identification #161602 - Ask Extension

Grape Vine Identification #161602

How can I identify what type of grape vine I have in my back yard?  I have searched online for ways to identify my vine by the leaves or grapes (although I have not yet seen any grapes as I bought the house recently), and I have not been able to find a good resource.  There are several online resources for identifying other things like trees and birds by answering questions or selecting variables to narrow the choices, but I have not been able to find something similar for grape vines.

I would attach a photo of the leaves, but most have shriveled up at this point since the vine is going dormant.

Williamson County Texas

I am not aware of an online resource to assist with identification of grape varieties by the leaves and fruit.  It is actually more difficult than it might seem.  One good resource is the University of California webpage on grape varieties:  
http://iv.ucdavis.edu/Viticultural_Information/?ds=351&reportnumber=516&catcol=2603&categorysearch=G...

At this point you will need to wait until next year for leaves and fruit to help with the identification. I suggest you take pictures and submit them to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension for their assistance with identification.

Ed Hellman Replied December 05, 2013, 12:11 AM EST