Will Concord grapes grow in Texas? #156167 - Ask Extension

Will Concord grapes grow in Texas? #156167

I live in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area of Texas. I have a good place that faces north and gets sun all day long. I want to specifically grow Concord grapes, but am not finding any factual information as to whether they can be grown in this area.

If not recommended, please recommend a grape that would be great for canning.

Thank you!

Tarrant County Texas

Texas has 27 native grape species, but Vitis labrusca, from which the Concord grape was selected, is not one of them.  Concord is the traditional grape jelly ingredient, but it grows best in New York, Michigan, Canada, and Washington. 

Fortunately, you have some excellent grape choices for North Texas.  Champanel and Black Spanish or Lenoir are American hybrids that do well here.  Champanel is especially good for clay soils--most grapes prefer sandy soils.  Carlos is a good old fashioned muscadine grape cultivar.  Victoria Red is a relatively new hybrid from the University of Arkansas that has done well in Texas.  I have a vine myself but I ate all the fruit right off the plant and didn't even consider jelly making. 

This fact sheet, Grape Arbors--New Interest in an Old Tradition has good information about pruning and training grapes.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/fact-sheets/grape-arbors/
This is a good time to plant a vine.  May you enjoy your grapes for many years to come.
Laura Miller Replied October 08, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT