Veggi sellections for Alpine, Brewster Co. #153367 - Ask Extension

Veggi sellections for Alpine, Brewster Co. #153367

I used the page for selecting vegetables to grow in the West Texas region, Brewster Co., Alpine.  It spit me out.  Why?  Are we being under served?  I'm interested in growing veggies in this area of high altitude, intense light, low rainfall, low humidity, high pH, shallow, caliche soil and unpredictably bad weather.  Tell me, what would the fun be without these challenges?  We need help here, to compensate for these conditions.  Also, I'm Planning to extend the season with cool weather crops.  I am looking for non hybrid, non GMO seed selections for this area.  Thank you for your suggestions.     

Brewster County Texas

Sorry for the "spit out". They recently changed our web pages and we have not had the time to put a lot of stuff into them. On vegetables for this area. Most types of vegetables work well here, that work in other areas. We do get earlier and later frost than lower altitudes so I usually recommend planting after April 15. This should take care of frost damage in most years but we did get one a little later this year. In particular cucumbers do very in our soils and altitude. The flavor is the best I have ever tasted. Other vegetables that do well are; yellow squash (Plant half as much as you think you will need), Tomatoes (Plant varieties with the most letters after their name {V, F, N} they will be resistant to some of the problems we have) (also do not use tobacco products anywhere near them), Peppers, most varieties work well. For more information call or come by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension office.
Logan Boswell Replied September 19, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Thank you for your reply.  Can you recommend any cover crops in the winter season for soil improvement?  I am going to grow in raised beds.  We have very shallow soil, with very little organic matter.   
The Question Asker Replied September 21, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Any of the cereal Rye varieties are good. They will hold the soil well and have the added benefit of trapping some of the nematodes in the soil. They will help add organic matter in the spring when tilled under also. They will require watering to get established and to keep growing.
Logan Boswell Replied September 25, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT