Summer squash #141595 - Ask Extension

Summer squash #141595

Something is eating my squash at the ground. I have lost 6 squash in the last week and see several others with damage. I have not seen any cucumber beetles. I am checking in the a.m. & p.m. The primary leaves have turned white but the other leaves have not shown any signs. It is only affecting my yellow neck squash and not my zucchini. The pics show better.

Brewster County Texas

In the first picture it looks like the plant is being cut off level at the soil line.  if that is the case with all the plants then it would be cutworms.  They are some times hard to find because they do this at night and hide under the soil nearby the plants.  Your could put a physical barrier around the plants that have not been cut off such as a plastic cup or use a synthetic or organic insecticide at the base of the plants.  As far as the white stuff on the leaves it is probably powdery mildew a fungus but is really hard to tell from the picture.  An organic or synthetic fungicide will help.
Juan Anciso Replied July 19, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT