Help please, my grapes are dying! #140074 - Ask Extension

Help please, my grapes are dying! #140074

I have a raised bed (15' x 4' x 4') with several Sauvignon Blanc plants in it. They are in their 5th year. Something is destroying the canes, turning them yellow and destroying the leaves. The one bunch of grapes that grew quickly turned black. The ends of the runners turn black with brown, scaly spots on them. I've been trimming the dead stuff off but I'd like help figuring out what is causing this so I can treat it. I have more grapes in separate bins that seem to be ok. I tried treating with Bonide Garden Dust, but no luck. I know that this year's crop is gone, but now I am worried about losing the plants. They get daily drip irrigation.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Comal County Texas

There are quite possible several problems here.  In one photo, it appears the vine is absolutely covered in black rot lesions.  Although this disease is listed on the Bonide label, neither copper nor sulfur will touch black rot.  The yellowing leaf could caused be a number of problems.  Could you send me additional photos of the whole raised bed?  You mentioned "several" grapevines... how many?  More than happy to help you solve this, lets make this an ongoing dialogue.

Jim Kamas
Asst. Professor & Extension Specialist- Viticulture & Pomology
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Fredericksburg, TX  78624
j-kamas@tamu.edu
Jim Kamas Replied July 12, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT