Scheduled Ask Extension System Maintentance This Weekend

Maintenance is scheduled for this Saturday February 27th from 10:00PM EST until Sunday February 28th 4:00AM EST. Ask Extension will not be accessible during this time.

100 Yr old apple tree #138723 - Ask Extension

100 Yr old apple tree #138723

We bought a house with a large gravenstien apple tree. It is full of leaves. Few apples---which are now falling of their own accord. I have not been able to find an arborist to look at it, and trim it at the right time. Where can I find help? The house is in Ashland.

Jackson County Oregon

Considering the time of summer this is happening, it may be "June fruit drop," which occurs when the tree naturally thins the fruit.  Gravenstein is one of the varieties that has a large fruit fall.  Here is a link to an article by the extension about the phenomenom: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/889
I cannot recommend any particular arborist, but I suggest you search for a "certified" one.
Sharon May Replied July 08, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT