Pond Management #133520 - Ask Extension


Pond Management #133520

Asked June 11, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT

I need to speak to someone about the pond on my property.  I am adding about 20000 gal of water per day but am loosing that much or more.  Do you know someone who i could speak with or come out and look at the pond.  I am located just south of Palestine.  Thank you.

Jack Kraatz
Bella Sera Ranch

Anderson County Texas

Expert Response

I wouldn't add that kind of water to a pond.  You likely either have a leaking pond or extreme evaporation going on.  There are ratios of watershed area and ground cover and soil types to pond area and depth that should be considered when creating a pond.  Too little watershed area per water surface area will not allow your pond to fully fill.  It may behoove you to get the soils tested for their sand and clay content.  Solutions for leaky ponds are either to reseal the pond bottom with bentonite clay, or a rubber/pvc pond liner.  Please see the following links for more information.

Renovating Leaky Ponds
Building quality ponds
Allen Pattillo Replied June 11, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
who should i consult with in this area re this issue?
The Question Asker Replied June 12, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
You may want to consult the folks at Texas A&M about the issue. 
Allen Pattillo Replied June 13, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

Loading ...