weed control in asparagus #130104 - Ask Extension

weed control in asparagus #130104

What do you recommend using for board leaf weeds in Asparagus. I have to rows of asparagus crows growing. This is thier second year and don't plan to harvest until next season, but the weeds are out of control. I have a lot of dandilions, kochia, and other weeds taking over. The asparagus has already started to fern out for the year. I have been pulling weeds but there are too many and not enough time in the day to get all of them. The property to the west of mine is an alfala field with lots of dandilions and other board leafs. I live out of town in Powell Wyoming, in Park County. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Park County Wyoming

This time of year, it is difficult to do anything but pull/hoe weeds in and around the asparagus patch. Glyphosate (Round-up) can be used carefully by painting the herbicide on the weeds, but do not broadcast spray an herbicide because it can kill the asparagus as well as the weeds. Preemergent herbicides can be used early in the spring to prevent weed seeds from germinating and will not harm asparagus. Once the asparagus goes dormant in the fall is another good time to spray weeds with Glyphosate. 

Here is a good fact sheet on weed control in asparagus. http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/articles/2011/AsparagusWeeds.shtml

Thanks for your question. 
Chris Hilgert Replied May 28, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT