good onion companions #129714 - Ask Extension

good onion companions #129714

I'll be planting onion sets; red & yellow- what are good companion plants?
Thank you

Norfolk County Massachusetts

Hi,
The thought behind companion planting is that growing a variety of plants may lessen insect problems because of increased sensory stimuli and also that one plant may physically, chemically or biologically affect the growth of another nearby. While there is some data to show both premises are true, there really is not a scientific listing of plants proven to enhance the growth of other plants in the field. Some general literature suggest that onions may pair well with plants such as beets, members of the cabbage family, chard, lettuce, pepper, tomato, chamomile and summer savory. I have no scientific references on whether these plants did enhance the growth of onions but you could try them for yourself and see if they make a difference. I grow onions and fine that having a soil with a pH in the mid 6's, adequate fertility that stays moderately moist and growing the plants in full sun, keeping weeds under control and using an organic mulch gives me fairly good results. Hope this helps.
Dawn Pettinelli Replied May 28, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT