I have some type of bambo... #124245 - Ask Extension

I have some type of bambo... #124245

I have some type of bamboo sprouting up everywhere in my back yard. I can not get a machine in to dig it up. Is there some type of herbicide or weed killer to stop the growth?

Bristol County Massachusetts

Hi,
Do you think this plant really is a bamboo or could it be Japanese knotweed? Either is very difficult to get rid of. http://www.hort.uconn.edu/cipwg/art_pubs/GUIDE/x05japanese.html Here is some information on fighting the Japanese knotweed. Basically you would let the plant grow up, cut it down, let it grow up again and spray it with herbicide (they are listed on this website). You might have to repeat this for a few years. You should have the plant identified just to be sure what you are dealing with and can send pictures to the email below. Persistance is important.
Dawn Pettinelli Replied April 29, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
This is deffinily bamboo, as it is 10' - 12' tall ,green, and very hard.
It is green all year long
The Question Asker Replied April 29, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
I would try contacting Logan Senack from the Invasive Plants Working Group to see if he can suggest control techniques. His email is logan.senack@uconn.edu and his phone is (860) 208-3900. He probably knows more about various control strategies than anyone else at the University.
Dawn Pettinelli Replied April 29, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT