Hawthorn Hedge or Trees In Pasture #116592 - Ask Extension

Hawthorn Hedge or Trees In Pasture #116592

Asked March 07, 2013, 9:02 PM EST

I have sectioned off my horse pasture into different padocks.  In this rural area there are many plants that I am trying to eliminate from the pasture areas.  I am in Oregon, near Portland.  The plant that is causing the most problem is Hawthorn.  These are small brushy plants that grow like a hedge would.  They have large sharp thorns that are dangerous for the horses as they graze.  Some are waist high others are small and close to the ground.  How can I kill them?  I have heard that just cutting them off is not enough.  Is there a product I can paint on the stems or small stumps that will kill the root system?  I cannot put my horses on this until I resolve the problem.  Thank you so much for your help.

Clackamas County Oregon

I would recommend cut stump treatments with a product such as Garlon 3 or Crossbow.  Both of these products contain triclopyr which is a very effective herbicide on brush species.  Both products are available  at many local farm stores.  Follow the label instructions for the cut surface/stump treatments.
Andrew Hulting Replied March 08, 2013, 6:23 PM EST