Parent education on promoting physical activity #115271 - Ask Extension

Parent education on promoting physical activity #115271

I am looking for curricula that are suitable for parent education classes related to encouraging physical activity in young children. The target population is immigrant Mexican-origin parents of children ages 3-8 yrs. We are offerring evening classes with the parents. Teachers have already received SPARK training and tools in the schools. Thus, we are looking for a parent component.

Yolo County California

"I Am Moving, I Am Learning" (Dr. Linda Carson, West Virginia University) is an excellent resource that could be adapted easily to fit your needs.  The program was initially developed with Head-Start and pre-school programs in mind, but it includes resources for classroom educators, parents and youth through middle school age.  The program content includes ideas for integrating education and practice of nutrition and activity in unique, easily executed, creative and expressive ways.  ChoosyKids CDs and and materials are available to support and augment the IMIL program. 
Nancy Roche Replied February 25, 2013, 1:23 PM EST